Monday, January 28, 2008

Grateful.

"Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos into order, confusion into clarity.... It turns problems into gifts, failures into success, the unexpected into perfect timing, and mistakes into important events. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow."
-Melodie Beattie

My husband respected a boundary I set this weekend. I'd asked him not to do something in our house--something messy and loud and invasive that affected my personal space--and he started making preparations to do it anyway. I got upset, and I told him that what he was doing hurt me, and I reminded him that we'd agreed he wouldn't do it. He argued with me for a bit, but he stopped.

I had been so pissed that he'd planned to break our agreement that it took me a few minutes to appreciate that this tiny deference to my wishes was actually a big step for him. He respected my boundary! With minimal tantrumming!

It was a step in the right direction for him, and I'm grateful for it. I am often torn when I see these tiny little movements in his incredibly slow process of growing because it keeps fanning the flames of my hope for our relationship to survive...but I also feel compelled to acknowledge them. I'm grateful for his growth, and even more grateful for my own.