Saturday, September 27, 2008

"I" Statements vs. "You" Statements and the Continuing Drama of the Blog Comments.

In our most recent Group Conscience meeting for my Nar-Anon, we discussed a need to clarify our stance on feedback and crosstalk in our meetings. While it’s rare that these events occur, there are some folks who have felt criticized or felt like other group members offer advice that is unhelpful and unwanted. We have been noodling through some ways to clarify the wording, and I volunteered to take our Opening Statement and add a few sentences that clarify what we mean by “We do not give advice, dialogue, debate, or crosstalk” in our meetings.

Read more at The Second Road.

Really. Read this one. Especially if you feel inclined to tell me what I should do with my life or how I should think or feel about my marriage. It will help us to communicate better.