Saturday, May 24, 2008

Communication Meltdown.

"Are you mad at me?" he asked.

No. I thought you were mad at me.

"But you just came home and went in the bedroom and didn't even say hi. I thought you must be mad at me, so I left you alone."

That's not what happened at all! I came home, and you made a nasty face at me. I went in the room because I thought you were being pissy about something, and I left you alone.

"So you're not mad at me?"

No...

"Not at all?"

I've been worried about you, kind of. You're distant and needy at the same time. You're obsessing about things. It's really, you know, addicty.

"You think I'm using?"

I didn't say that...

"I'm not."

OK.

"You don't believe me."

I don't believe you or not believe you. I can't listen to words you say about using or not using anymore. It doesn't serve me.

"I wouldn't lie about it now."

Yes, you would. You always do. If you started being that way again, you'd lie to me. That's how it works.

"You're not going to make me feel bad."

I don't want you to feel bad.

"Yes you do."

We don't have to have a fight about this.

"God! I can't say anything to you without you accusing me of something or trying to make me feel bad! We're just talking! It's not fighting!"

You're yelling now. I'm just telling you what I've been thinking. It's ok.

"See? We can't even communicate! Your feelings are fine and you can think whatever you want about me, but I'm not going to let you affect how I feel about myself. We can't even talk to each other. You always start a fight if we're just talking about our feelings!"

See how you're yelling and I'm not? Let's stop this now.

Art by Dregster