Tuesday, February 5, 2008

God Stuff

I yearn to belong to something, to be contained
in an all-embacing mind that sees me
as a single thing.
I yearn to be held

in the great hands of your heart--

oh, let them take me now.

Into them I place these fragments, my life,

and you, God, spend them however you want.

-Rilke

I was listening to Tara Brach lecturing about Radical Acceptance this morning, and she quoted this bit from Rilke.

Rilke is one of those poets I sometimes turn into a fiend over...my entire being will be gripped by my profound need for a Rilke poem. Now I have a new one to add to my Rilke supply.

And once again, how funny to find these words when I'm in the midst of my own adventure with finding and defining my own Higher Power! I'm reading the Bhagavad Gita, practicing yoga like a god-thirsty madwoman, praying and looking and seeking the loving kindness and acceptance of something bigger than myself, something with answers better than the answers I've come to on my own.

My answers are bad answers, and I need help finding the right ones. I like it that everywhere I go, I find little sign posts indicating I'm on the right path.