Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Full Bloom.

"You must live in the present, launch yourself on every wave, find your eternity in the present moment."
-Thoreau


I realized something at the meeting tonight about those of us living with addiction. We're not a dull lot, are we? We've always got a story, and it's always rich.

And more than full of STUFF to talk about, it's a rich place to exist if we can find stillness. Every moment of every day is meaningful. Every moment of quiet, or presence with ourselves, with glimpses of sanity in our loved ones...every moment is sacred.

In ways, I think that I've wasted so much time in my relationship...but in other ways, I recognize that not a moment has been wasted since I learned of my husband's addiction. I've not spent a second in complacency. The pain of watching his pain, of learning to deal with my responses to him more effectively, has made every day real. I'm alive all the time.