Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Ophelia.

From Hamletmachine :

(enormous room. Ophelia. Her heart is a clock.)

Ophelia:

I am Ophelia. The one the river didn't keep. The woman dangling from the rope. The woman with her arteries cut open. The woman with the overdose. SNOW ON HER LIPS. The woman with her head in the gas stove. Yesterday I stopped killing myself. I'm alone with my breasts my thighs my womb. I smash the tools of my captivity, the chair the table the bed. I destroy the battlefield that was my home. I fling open the doors so the wind gets in and the scream of the world. I smash the window. With my bleeding hands I tear the photos of the men I loved and who used me on the bed on the table on the chair on the ground. I set fire to my prison. I throw my clothes into the fire. I wrench the clock that was my heart out of my breast. I walk into the street clothed in my blood.

When she walks through your bedrooms carrying butcher knives you'll know the truth.

3 comments:

One Wacky Mom said...

Great post. Makes you think. I tagged you in a meme this am. By the way, I love the picture of weed...helping Americas learn the metric system.......perfect!!!

Ophelia Mourne said...

this might sound silly but it made me teary eyed. My girlfriend Babs sent me to this.
Im glad I read it.
Very Beautiful post. Thanks for sharing.

longvowels said...

this should be my wedding dress. then i can drown myself.