Wednesday, May 9, 2007

A God I Can Embrace

It's long, but it's worth it. Reverend Tom Honey, vicar of the Church Of England, gave this talk 2 months after the tsunami in December, 2004. He goes through a long questioning of what kind of god could allow human tragedy on the scale of Auschwitz or the tsunami, and finally resolves the conflict by suggesting that god isn't anything...god is IN things. God is in relationships between people, in experiences, in quiet, in "awareness of the inner conversation" between the collective unconsciousnesses of all of us.

It's something I have always though, I think, but never been able to express so well...it's what I'm talking about when I say I feel god in love, when I say I see god in great art...beautifully done...

"To have faith in this god is more like trusting in a benevolence in the universe..."

No comments: