Monday, March 9, 2009

Tiger Kills Man.

I heard a news story on the radio a few mornings ago about a man who was killed by a Siberian tiger after trying to take a shortcut while hiking the Great Wall of China. Apparently, the man ignored warning signs about predatory animals, climbed several walls, and landed himself in the midst of the tiger's area in a wildlife park.

What a story!

My instant reaction, weirdly, was to feel kind of angry with my husband. I thought that it seemed like something he'd do...and I'd go right along with him.

"Come on! We'll take this shortcut!" he'd say.

"Oh, no. There were signs saying that there might be tigers," I'd tell him.

"Come on. Don't be lame. There's no tigers. I don't see any tigers. Do you see any tigers?"

"Well, no..."

"You're fucking crazy if you think I'm going to walk all the way around this park when we can just cut through right here. We'll be fine. I'm not scared of tigers. Why are you always so afraid? You should have faith! We'll be fine. Let's go!"

"Ok..."

Poor Chinese man. Poor decisions. I bet he had no idea that he was about to be eaten by a tiger. He really thought he'd be ok. I also bet that he had no idea that half a world away, some woman would rage quietly against her husband because of his decisions.