Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Everybody's Doing It.


Well, if MPJ, Question, Mantra, and Recovery Discovery are all doing it, then I'm going to have to do it, too. I can't let my imaginary friends play a game without me.

It started with Question suggesting that she wanted to find a word to dive into for the New Year, and then Mantra said that we should really also have words for the old year. My imaginary friends really like words, you see.

So I've chosen mine. For this year, my magical word is the top secret recovery open-sesame password-word: SERENITY.

I'm going to seek out opportunities to find serenity, and when I find a moment, a person, a place, or anything that gets me closer to some kind of inner stillness, peace, clarity--I'm going to embrace it. I'm going to chase it down. I'm going to trap it with a big old net. Serenity! Now! Yeah!

I liked this quote from Khalil Gibran, "And you would accept the seasons of your heart just as you have always accepted that seasons pass over your fields and you would watch with serenity through the winters of your grief." That's what I want...bad things are going to happen to me and to the people who I love. I am going to experience pain, but it's ok. It's like winter. It passes.

And my word for last year: Endurance.

I made it through. It was hard. I made it, and I grew. I found some nice quotes about endurance, too:

"Endurance is not just the ability to bear a hard thing, but to turn it into glory."
-William Barclay

"God places the heaviest burden on those who can carry its weight."

-Reggie White