Saturday, December 15, 2007

Just Shut Up.

You act like you're fourteen years old.
Everything you say is so

Obnoxious, funny, rude and mean.

I want to be your blowjob queen.

-Liz Phair

Liz Phair's "Flower" song was stuck in my head today. My husband was being a charming, grumpy, handsome, fussy fool of a man-child beast. He is tired. He's worked a lot this week, and the work he's doing is hard. It's going to take him a long time to get used to being up and out of the house, being a grown-up and all that. It was rainy and cold today, and he was working outside, so when he came home, he had a fierce need to let me know how awful it was.

I am getting better at ignoring him when he's crazy. He threw some sort of man-tantrum about the side of the bed next to where he sleeps. He generally has a giant stack of clothes piled up there, and I'll pick them up when I'm doing the laundry on the weekends.

Why can't you just leave my clothes that I have on the floor over here alone? I want to have something that's mine! You clean up everything, and I want to have one place that can be messy!

It's great. For a few minutes, I was really hurt. I was trying to do his laundry, to help him, and he acted as if I'd been trying to take something away from him. I started questioning myself...should I not be helping with his laundry? Is there some indignity that I'm foisting upon him by cleaning up the bedroom that we share? I quickly decided, however, that it doesn't matter, and that something great has happened: I'm off the hook for his laundry! I finished the load that I was working on, and instead of folding his clothes, I threw them on the floor next to his side of the bed! Instead of washing his clothes that were in the pile of dirty laundry, I threw them on the floor by his side of the bed.

I hope he enjoys his mess.