Friday, July 13, 2007

I'm Back!

I took the day off yesterday to spend some time with G's dad, who isn't doing so well, and so I was computer-less all day long. Thanks to E. from Behind Pinned Eyes, though, I'll be back online from work and home and everywhere! Yay!

It was a good day.

MPJ, the meeting last night where we talked about your post on trust was amazing. People had a lot of really helpful things to say, and everyone fell in love with your writing. One woman called the trust thing "transformative," and she cried. There's nothing like making someone cry with your writing! It's like winning some kind of writer's lottery.

Another really wonderful thing that came of last night's meeting was the idea of enjoying the good moments, the good days, and the happy times. It's easy to get swept up in the idea of The Addict, to get caught in the accusations, the hurt feelings, the muck and mire of ugliness that comes with addiction, and to forget to enjoy our spouses, lovers, children, and parents who are addicts when they are well, loving, charming, happy.

My husband is a good man, a strange, creative, beautiful, wonderful, spiritual man. I remember these things about him, and I celebrate my love for him in a way that is (apparently) nearly offensive to some folks. I forget, though, sometimes, to let him see how special I think he is. I was so happy to see him after I got home from that meeting, to sit with him and remember to breathe deeply, to remember to enjoy him and every good moment we have together.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. And thanks for the trackback to that post from MJP. That was also a lovely post.
BTW, you can't take days off. "I can't live, if living is without you."
Oh, Christ, you're probably too young to remember that song! It's one of the ultimate codie songs. I get all codie when you're gone.
"Don't do me like that." lol.
Peace,
Scout

Anonymous said...

lol. someone still has a resentment. great post and good reminder, not just for you but for us as well. i think as addicts we do the same thing, we get so caught up in everything, even sometimes in our own recovery that we forget to enjoy our partners, our relationships, and after all isnt that the exact reason we are doing all of this, going through all of this, so that we can be together? So what's the point when we don't share in the joy of one another. Great post, and great reminder. Thank you as always.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

OMG, I do feel like I've won the writer's lottery! I'm so glad that what I wrote moved and helped people. When I share in my own meetings, no one ever cries. You must have kick ass delivery. ;)