Friday, April 13, 2007

Good Prayers


Someone's post on the Soberrecovery forum today reminded me of Anne Lamott's book Traveling Mercies: Some Thoughts on Faith. I love the speaker in the book, and her spirituality is one that I can relate to, which really surprised me when I started reading the book. One of my favorite parts is when she says that the two best prayers she knows are:

Help me! Help me! Help me!

and also:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

These are prayers I can relate to. A few nights ago, when I was sleeping upstairs because I was too angry to sleep with my husband, I was sobbing in the bed, and those phrases came to me again. Often in the midst of big depressive sobs, some phrase will get stuck in my mind--I think it happens to a lot of people. But often, the phrase is "Help me...help me...help me..." For so much of my life, I haven't been sure who I was asking for help. I'm still not sure, but I think I'm getting closer to understanding.

No comments: